Cape Fuschia's
  Re: (0...)
I live in the Pacific Northwest. It rarely freezes so hard that I lose plants, but it does happen on rare occasion. I just bought a Cape Fuschia (Moonraker) to put in my back yard. The yard is sheltered from harsh winds by a fence. I have two questions.... 1.) How hardy are cape fuschias and 2.) should I choose to plant it in the ground before winter sets in, do I need to mulch it over the winter? Thanks for the help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  Re: Cape Fuschia's by jcline (I live in the Pacifi...)
Cape Fuschias are natives of South Africa and are reliably hardy only in USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 8 and 9. (Here's a link to the USDA zone map for the Pacific Northwest: http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-nw1.html) It looks like, depending on exactly where in the Pacific Northwest you live, the plants should be able to overwinter successfully outdoors. Mulching over the winter isn't a bad idea, and then you can cut it back almost to the ground in the spring. It looks like a nice plant!
The great thing about gardening is that you always get a chance to start over!
  Re: Re: Cape Fuschia's by IntrepidMeredith (Cape Fuschias are na...)
Thanks! I live between Zone 7b and 8...and was told yesterday by a nurseryman that it should do well overwinter. I repotted it to a frost free pot (about twice the size of the container it was in) and gave it a very good potting soil mix with nutrients and microrizia. It should be gorgeous next year with it's lemon yellow trumpet flowers. I had 4 kinds of hummingbirds in my yard this year, and this will surely attract them back! Thanks again for the info. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  Re: Cape Fuschia's by jcline (I live in the Pacifi...)
Most of the contents of the magazine have been done for future times. The portal of the magazine and online writing services for me in the ambit for the turns for all goals. The element is filed for the reforms. The magazine is inducted for the theories for all goals.