Dividing asters -- How?
  Re: (0...)
I know I am supposed to divide my lovely pink New England asters in the fall but I am terrified of sticking a shovel into the middle of the clump. Advice please!
Thank you.
Garden Addict and Sometime Librarian
  Re: Dividing asters -- How? by Rita_Mae (I know I am supposed...)
Instead of dividing and possibly killing a gorgeous plant, I purchased a new one to fill the hole I had prepared.
... cowardly rita b
Ha! You all let me down, but I finally found a site to give me confidence to tackle this project, Dividing Perennials from the U of Illinois Extension site:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/perennials/dividing.html
... rita b
I have actually divided my asters in the early spring, once they are up about 4-6 inches. I live in Zone 8 so ours come up pretty early. Take a shovel, make circle, pull up and out. I use a flat bladed shovel to separate and just pull apart in 1/2. Replant. I've done this for most of my plants. I'm not too afraid of dividing anything in this manner. Bulbs are the only ones you have to be careful with so you don't damage the actual bulb! Hostas, lillies, etc., they're easy!
  Re: Re: Dividing asters -- How? by lml0615 (I have actually divi...)
Quote:I have actually divided my asters in the early spring, once they are up about 4-6 inches. I live in Zone 8 so ours come up pretty early. Take a shovel, make circle, pull up and out. I use a flat bladed shovel to separate and just pull apart in 1/2. Replant. I've done this for most of my plants. I'm not too afraid of dividing anything in this manner. Bulbs are the only ones you have to be careful with so you don't damage the actual bulb! Hostas, lillies, etc., they're easy!

Thank you! I will bravely take shovel in hand come spring.