Composters?
  Re: (0...)
Last year I purchased a barrel-type composter, the kind that you roll to shake up the contents. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it has been pretty much of a disappointment.

Right now a drawer-type composter is sitting in my living room in a box. It's the kind in which you dump stuff into the top and eventually take compost out the bottom--but only after 6 to 8 weeks.

What has been your experience?

Thank you,
... rita b
Garden Addict and Sometime Librarian
  Re: Composters? by Rita_Mae (Last year I purchase...)
Most people that waste their money on these types of composters either give up or start a compost pile in their garden. In some 50 years of composting I have yet to see anything that can beat the simple compost pile in the garden, no gimmicks, very little expense.
While I do have two 4 x 4 wooden structures to contain my compost the primary reason is to limit the critters that visit rather than to help me make compost faster.
West Central Michigan along the lake shore.
  Re: Re: Composters? by KimmSr (Most people that was...)
I was asked to try the drawer style composter by a local garden group. Man, it was more trouble than it was worth. I will stick to my old pile in my yard. I keep my pile neat with three walls made of wood and hardware cloth. It may not be an artistic vision but it does the job brilliantly.

Happy composting,
Northeastern Massachusetts
  Re: Re: Composters? by gardenymph (I was asked to try t...)
Thank you, kind friends in Michigan and Massachusetts. In our old yard we had a wonderful corner where we could hide our compost pile. Here in suburbia, with "yard Nazis" on all four sides, there is no good place to pile compost. That is why I am interested in something that will hide the mess.

Oh dear. What to do? (sigh)

... rita b, frustrated but sincere composter
  Re: Re: Composters? by Rita_Mae (Thank you, kind frie...)
Oh my Rita B!!!!

It was very inconsiderate of me to assume you were in a democratic neighborhood!!!! Let me include an addendum to my previous 2 cents. If I were restricted to a small space, didn't need large amounts of compost and looks were important, then yes, I would prefer the drawer style over the barrel roller. It does work if you follow the recommendations, you just won't get yards at a time.

Many apologies and best of luck!
Northeastern Massachusetts
  Re: Re: Composters? by gardenymph (Oh my Rita B!!!![br]...)
Well, the barrel composter is hopefully cooking (in this weather???). Meanwhile, I've made the first deposits of kitchen stuff in the drawer model, along with dry leaves contributed by a friend. I'll let you know how my two-fisted plan works.
... rita b