Garden Gate Forums
Nut Grass - Printable Version

+- Garden Gate Forums (https://www.forums.gardengatemagazine.com)
+-- Thread: Nut Grass (/showthread.php?tid=19432)

Nut Grass - LaVelle110 - 04-30-2009

Hello, I was wondering if anyone out there might have a clue for me on how to get rid of nut grass. It is driving me crazy.

Re: Nut Grass - IntrepidMeredith - 04-30-2009

Yeah, according to Wikipedia this is one of the most successful (i.e.- spread across 6 continents and almost impossible to eradicate) weeds on the planet. The University of Georgia website has some suggestions for the control/eradication of this plant, but you'll need to identify exactly which species of nut grass you're dealing with. Luckily, the site gives a couple of pointers to help with identification.

If all else fails, embrace your nut grass! The Wiki page indicates that the tubers are nutritious, if rather bitter tasting... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Nut Grass - jamesginger - 10-08-2009

Nutgrass can be a real problem and the only way I deal with it is to dig it out. If any of the "nuts" are left underground then it keeps growing and spreading.

RE: Nut Grass - anatoliaa - 12-12-2018

You can control nutsedge in your lawn by applying Ortho® Nutsedge Killer Ready-To-Spray. It's effective against newly emerged and established sedges. The weed is yellowed in 1-2 days, and complete kill occurs in 2- 3 weeks. It can be used on Northern and Southern turf grasses and is rainproof in 2 hours.