Garden Gate Forums
Rookie seeking advice - Printable Version

+- Garden Gate Forums (https://www.forums.gardengatemagazine.com)
+-- Thread: Rookie seeking advice (/showthread.php?tid=19149)

Rookie seeking advice - newtothis - 09-08-2008

Hello - I'm new here! I'm wondering if I can get some advice - in a Garden Gate magazine given to me by my mom (Can not find date - spring 08 maybe? Hostas on the cover, butterfly on the back) there is a "Before and After: Butterflies Welcome" garden plan on pages 10-11. I'm trying to determine if any of these plants should go in in the fall or do I wait til spring? I'm in Zone 5 on Lake Erie in Ohio. Winters can be nasty. And advice would be appreciated! Thanks...

Re: Rookie seeking advice - BFimmigrant - 09-13-2008

Hi New,

I'm new to Iowa, also zone 5. I've been advised that you can plant in the fall, up to six weeks before the ground freezes. The only thing I've read to contradict this is for Buck hardy roses. I've read that those need to be in the ground by June in order to be hardy over the winter.

Dora

Re: Rookie seeking advice - newtothis - 09-15-2008

Thanks!

Re: Rookie seeking advice - gardenrunner - 09-18-2008

new-
If planting any coralbells, make sure you mulch them heavily in late fall to prevent the roots from freezing. They have very shallow root systems and will not tolerate the cold very well. Grasses, shrubs and most hardy perennials will fair well(except some roses and most hosta) when planted in fall. I'm starting a new bed on the side of my house this week and plan to have most everything in place for next spring. Good luck in your butterfly garden!!